If you are going to wade into learning more about technology, there will inevitably be words that are assumed by the geeks who created them. This is the first of a series focused on deciphering the terminology that is a foreign language to so many of you.
Facebook-> please, I know you know what that is. There are over a billion people using it.
- timeline-> this is your 'homepage' where all your posts, pictures and things you like are visible.
- news feed-> 'default' page where all the posts of your 'friends' (in Facebook terms friends is a pretty loosely used term) can be found.
- post-> text, picture or video you or a friend put on Facebook.
- like-> click the thumbs up symbol on a friends post; says you like the post, agree with it or maybe you feel peer pressure to say something so as to not feel judged.
- tag-> putting another person's name on a post or picture. This puts that picture or post on that person's timeline. Be careful who is posting those pictures from last Friday night.
- share-> taking the post of a friends and posting it to your timeline for all your friends to see.
Twitter-> social network made up of quick, short messages that is incredibly useful but over complicated because Twitter is well Twitter.
- tweet-> message you post on twitter that is less than or equal to 140 characters.
- follower-> another person or account that chooses to see your tweets.
- retweet-> taking another person's tweet and tweeting it again on your account.
- hashtag-> word with a # sign in front of it (i.e. #love). Used to help you search for a specific topic or group a bunch of tweets together for future reference. Please don't participate in hashtag abuse. Not every set of words is a #besthashtagevercreatedlikeever.
- @mention-> also known as @reply. When you start a tweet with @ and someone's name, they will get a notification that you said something to them. This is not a private message. It can be seen by people who follow you and follow them. You've been warned.
- DM-> direct message on twitter between 2 people. This is a private message.
- tweetup-> impromptu gathering of people who are following a certain account or hashtag.
- favorite-> similar to the like on Facebook; some use this to say they like a tweet, want to bookmark the tweet or agree with a tweet.
Vine-> social network made up of videos that are no more than 6 seconds long and play on a loop. In between pretty creative ideas you are guaranteed to see someone get hit in the crotch on a loop. Kind of like America's Funniest Home videos for the next generation.
Instagram-> social network for sharing photos even if they are photos you shouldn't actually share.
- filter-> a quick alteration you can make to a photo you want to share that gives it a different look. For example, you can take a high resolution image and make it look like crap with a Polaroid filter to your heart's desire.
- heart-> think like or favorite except they had to think of something different.
Snapchat-> social network where you send a picture or message and it deletes after several seconds once the recipient views it. Great way to communicate in a more private manner which of course leads to many jokes on late night television.
- snap-> picture sent to a friend using Snapchat.
Pinterest-> social network that is the gateway drug for all moms who said they had no use for that social internet stuff. Primarily a place to save articles and ideas found on the internet.
- pin-> saving an idea, picture, blog, etc on Pinterest.
Tumblr-> social network with longer form content like a blog or collection of information around a topic or idea.
- tumblog-> slang term describing a blog on Tumblr.
notification-> think inbox for what you missed while you weren't actively using a social network.
troll-> internet slang for people who post nasty things to get others angry.